Wednesday is Jain Festival - Gyan/Jnan Panchami
Post date: Nov 17, 2010 4:13:24 AM
We have Jain religious day tomorrow (Wednesday): Gyan/Jnan Panchami also known as 'Saubhagya Pachami' and as the 'Labha Panchami'. Jnan Panchami (The holy day for acquiring knowledge) is the name given to the celebration that takes place on the 5th day of the fortnight of the waxing moon in Kartik (the 5th day after Diwali). This day has been fixed for the worship of pure knowledge; and on this day, by way of worshipping knowledge, fasting, devavandan (offering veneration to Gods), holy recitation, meditation, pratikraman etc.
On this day we worship five types of Jnans:
1) Mati-Jnan refers to the knowledge which is attained through the use of the senses and mind.
2) Shrut-Jnan refers to the knowledge which is acquired by understanding of words, writing or gestures.
3) Avadhi-Jnan: The soul through Avadhi-Jnan can see the material things far beyond our normal eyes can see without the help of senses or mind.
4) Manah Paryay-Jnan: The soul through Manah Paryay-Jnan can know the mental thoughts of others without the help of senses and mind.
5) Keval-Jnan: The soul has the power to know what is happening now, what happened in the past, and what will happen in the future in the whole universe at the same time.
I have attached copy of shlokas (in gujarati) to be recited, while bowing down (one khamasana for each stanzas).